You’re busy, you’re stressed out and you think there’s not another single thing you can fit into your schedule…but you keep hearing people talk about yoga for fertility and you’re curious. Is this something worth your precious time and energy? Obviously we’re a bit biased, but we feel the answer is a resounding “YES!” Here are the top five reasons why yoga is the perfect exercise for fertility:
1. Yoga has been clinically shown to reduce the chemical by-products of stress. Yoga has been shown to reduce levels of the stress hormone cortisol. High cortisol levels can interfere with optimal reproductive function, as well as cause other chronic health problems.
2. Yoga helps to improve blood flow. Tight muscles and connective tissue can impede blood flow into the pelvis. The gentle stretching we teach in Puilling Down the Moon’s fertility yoga classes targets the hips, groin and lower back with the aim of increasing blood flow.
3. Yoga improves brain chemistry. Researchers at Boston University have show that yoga practice elevates levels of GABA, an important brain neurotransmitter. Low levels of GABA are associated with depression and anxiety levels.
4. Yoga is low impact/low intensity exercise. When trying to conceive, high intensity exercise is not recommended. Yoga stretches and strengthens the body, creating fitness and tone without the excessive physiological strain of high-intensity movement.
5. Yoga improves digestion/metabolism. Yoga has been used by traditional practioners for thousands of years to relieve constipation and gas, regulate appetite and metabolism and re-acquaint practitioners with their innate hunger/satiety signals. Good nutrition and a healthy body weight are important for optimal fertility.