Here’s a Quick Q&A with Meredith Nathan: Director of Massage, Massage Advisor about our New FEM Session: Unwind the Mind ™
What is the Fertility Enhancing Massage (FEM) Protocol ™?
- Fertility Massage is a largely unknown and underdeveloped field. At Pulling Down the Moon we’ve striven to be pioneers of this emerging healing art, and pride ourselves in working with the body in ways that no one else has before. While many would say the primary benefit of massage for fertility is relaxation, we have seen that through blending the best of ancient healing arts with cutting edge massage techniques, easing stress is only the tip of the iceberg of what fertility massage can truly accomplish. In 2008, we took our discoveries from the previous 5 years of working with fertility clients and launched The FEM Protocol ™. Each sessions is designed to target different challenges to fertility, and works hand in hand with the benefits of acupuncture, yoga, nutrition, ART, or with the timing of your natural cycle.
Why did you develop a new fifth session? What is the goal of Unwind the Mind ™?
- As we initially launched The FEM Protocol ™, we looked for ways to boost fertility and address the body’s challenges to pregnancy. As such, we developed sessions that would work within the follicular phase of a woman’s cycle, and encouraged our clients to avoid massage after ovulation. However, over the last few years a new need became evident: to help relieve the anxiety of the two week wait. Stress does not encourage getting pregnant OR staying pregnant. Unwind the Mind ™ was created to be a safe and gentle oasis from post-ovulation stress, helping to release stagnant emotions, clear the mind, and uplift the spirit. Massage, vibrational therapy, lymphatic massage, aromatherapy, Ayurvedic techniques, and more help to relax the body, enhance fertility, and support a potential pregnancy.
Do the 5 FEM Protocol ™ sessions connect to the 5 Kosha Bodies of yoga?
- Yes! Pulling Down the Moon’s 5-Body Method ™ is based on a traditional healing model from yoga that works with the koshas. The kosha model says we have 5 bodies, or layers, to our being: the physical body, the energy/breath body, the mental/emotional body, the wisdom body, and the bliss body. Each of the 5 Fertility Enhancing Massage sessions not only address different fertility challenges and different timings in a woman’s cycle, but also correspond to a different kosha body.
- The Physical Body = Enhance the Blood
- The Energy/Breath Body = Open the Breath
- The Mental/Emotional Body = Relax & Integrate
- The Wisdom Body = Cleanse the Body
- The Bliss Body = Unwind the Mind
Is the new session safe to receive?
- Yes! Unwind the Mind ™ was specifically designed for the two week wait, and avoids circulation boosting massage strokes, contraindicated acupoints, and unsafe areas for massage. In fact, many of the points stimulated in this session actually encourage a healthy pregnancy. Unwind the Mind ™ is also safe to receive throughout the first trimester of pregnancy, when normal massage would not be recommended.
Meredith Nathan, Director of Massage and Senior FEM Practitioner at Pulling Down the Moon, is a graduate of Northwestern University as well as the Chicago School of Massage Therapy (now Cortiva Institute). Meredith is nationally certified and continued her education through the Upledger Institute as well as through Prenatal Certification. She lead the development of the FEM (Fertility Enhancing Massage) Protocol after working with hundreds of women seeking to improve their fertility since 2004. Meredith has been highlighted in Conceive Magazine, Conceive on Air, Massage Magazine, and Pulling Down the Moon’s own ‘Fully Fertile’. The daughter of a biophysicist and a craniosacral therapist, she is passionate about blending the best of holistic modalities, grounded in modern medicine and science. As a ‘fertility baby’ herself, Meredith is dedicated to helping other future moms bring new life into the world, and is committed to pushing the boundaries of what massage can do in the world of fertility.